It’s been a few weeks since my last post, moving into a new place plus looking after a bub is definitely a lot to take on, not to mention I started my annual glow detox with my naturopath this week (sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself).
So here I was on Tuesday in the midst of moving house, completely caffeine deprived with a 16 week old who’s possibly started the teething process…YES a whole lot of fun… and can I just say I’m pretty sure husband was really lucky to be interstate for work! Haha! But I made it through the first day and here I am onto the third and no longer caffeine dependent! #winning
After no longer feeling sorry for myself, it was back to the kitchen and time to get really creative! How this detox works is pretty much like an elimination challenge, the gut has a total cleanse. This means no sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol or any processed foods (this includes things like salad dressings and sauces etc). It’s just pure clean eating. So you can see where this can be a challenge! Everything needs to be made from scratch, which isn’t such a bad thing! Today I was really craving a delicious burger and a traditional burger contains pretty much everything on my no no list, thus I was forced to improvise.
The following recipe is an open chicken burger on a lettuce “bun”, it’s super easy and something you can make a big batch of in advance and pop in the freezer for quick and easy meals. Enjoy!
Love Wifey xx
Detox Chicken Burgers on a Lettuce Bun
Chicken Burger Patties
500g chicken mince
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
3 tbsp rice crumbs plus extra for coating
1 handful roughly chopped mint
1 handful roughly chopped coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground chillies
pink Himalayan crystal salt
cracked black pepper
olive oil for frying
Lettuce Bun & Salad Topping
cos lettuce leaves (you could use other lettuce if you like, I just love cos lettuce)
handful of baby spinach
1 tomato diced
1 avocado diced
juice of 1 lime
Method (Serves 4)
- Combine all ingredients listed for the patties and mix well.
- Roll the patty mixture into balls (about the size of a golf ball) and then flatten them.
- Next begin preparing your lettuce buns and salad. Dice the avocado and tomato and place in a bowl and squeeze over the lime juice toss the salad and set aside.
- Separate your lettuce leaves, wash thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a frypan and begin to fry your patties making sure they are cooked through.
- First place a lettuce leaf on your plate followed by some spinach, two patties and top with your salad. Bon appetite!